Table of ContentsPrevious Page in CatalogNext Page in CatalogIndex

UNC Logo

Financial Aid, Rates and Student Fees

Financial Aid

Financial aid is awarded to assist students and parents with meeting college costs such as tuition, fees, books, food, housing and transportation. The Office of Financial Aid administers several types of state and federal aid programs including grants, loans, employment, scholarships and veterans' benefits. The following represents the types of assistance available as of this printing.

Educational Loans. UNC participates in the following programs: Federal Perkins Loans, Federal subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS). Eligibility for Federal Perkins Loans and Subsidized Stafford Loans is based upon need, as determined by the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is available in the Office of Financial Aid or online at Loan funds plus interest must be repaid to the lending institutions, usually after graduation. Some loans have cancellation and deferment provisions.

Grant Funds. Grant funds are awarded on the basis of financial need. These funds do not require repayment unless the student does not complete the term in which the funds are received. Grant funds available at UNC include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Colorado Student Grant, Colorado Graduate Grant and the Colorado Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program.

Graduate Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Graduate Research Assistants. Graduate Assistantships are available through the individual academic and administrative departments. Awards are usually comprised of a monthly stipend, as well as a tuition scholarship, based proportionally on the stipend in exchange for a work assignment. These tax qualifying awards are disseminated according to individual program budgets. For more information students should contact their program.

Student Employment. UNC offers a number of employment opportunities. Federal and State Work Study programs provide on-campus and off-campus jobs to students demonstrating financial need. Colorado No-Need Work Study is available on a limited basis to undergraduate Colorado residents who do not qualify for other forms of financial assistance and apply by the priority deadline of March 1. For those students who do not qualify for the Work Study programs there are part-time hourly positions both at the University and off campus.

Scholarships. Scholarship funds do not have to be repaid and are usually awarded on the basis of academic performance, talent, athletic ability and other criteria determined by the donor.

Veterans' Benefits. Eligibility for veterans' benefits is certified through the Financial Aid office.

Academic Progress Standards

The Office of Financial Aid is responsible under state and federal regulations for establishing and monitoring minimum acceptable progress for the continuation of financial aid eligibility. The standard of satisfactory progress must include a student's total academic history at UNC.

In order to be eligible to receive financial aid, the student must be making satisfactory progress toward a degree program, regardless of whether he/she has previously received financial assistance. For a more detailed explanation of these policies, refer to the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress available in the Office of Financial Aid or on our web site.

How to Apply for Aid

To qualify for "need-based" programs, the student must demonstrate "financial need" or a difference between the cost of education and what the family (both student and parents) can reasonably afford to pay toward that cost. The family's income and assets are reviewed to calculate the family contribution in a process called "Need Analysis." UNC uses the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to initiate this process. Completion of the FAFSA means the student is applying for all state and federal aid programs offered at UNC with the exception of scholarship programs.

The FAFSA form can be obtained from college financial aid and high school guidance counselor's offices or on-line at To receive the maximum amount of funding, the application must be received by the need analysis service by March 1 preceding the award year. An application processed after March 1 will be considered late and the applicant will have limited funding opportunities.

To apply for a Federal Stafford or Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students, students must accept the loan on the Award Notification form. Students will receive notification from College Assist that an online promissory note is available for electronic signature.

How To Apply for a UNC Scholarship

Students must be admitted to UNC by March 1 to be considered for scholarships for the upcoming academic year. Eligibility for some scholarships is based on information obtained from the admission application. All students are encouraged to complete the UNC Universal Scholarship Application for scholarships every year. The deadline is March 1.

The UNC Universal Scholarship Application is available on-line through Ursa. A listing of all scholarships available through UNC is located at Many local libraries offer a comprehensive list of local and national scholarships. Students are also encouraged to use the World Wide Web for scholarship listings.

Refund and Repayment

Tuition adjustments resulting from a complete withdrawal from the University may affect the financial aid the student has received. Credit balances are returned to financial aid accounts. Students can refer to for more explanation.

Any student withdrawing totally from the University who has received her/his financial aid for that semester may be required to repay the financial aid. For a more detailed explanation of these policies, refer to "Withdrawing and Its Effects On Your Financial Aid" on the website click on Downloads.


Financial aid is awarded on the basis of "need" and may include a package of grants, loans and employment. Students and parents are expected to contribute their share toward the costs of education. All students are expected to work during the summer and periods of non-enrollment and save a significant portion of their earnings.

Financial aid is available in limited amounts to help students finance school expenses. However, while college costs continue to rise, federal and state aid does not rise at the same rate. Consequently, families must increasingly rely upon their own funds to pay for school. Students are expected to arrive on campus with funds to use for books, tuition, fees, housing and utility deposits and other expenses associated with the beginning of the year.

Financial aid funds usually are available at the beginning of each semester as a credit to charges on the student's bill. A refund will be deposited to the student's checking account if the aid exceeds all institutional charges.

Financial aid awards are offered for an academic year (Fall/Spring). A separate application is required for funding during the summer session. Contact the office for dates and more details.

Renewal of financial aid is not automatic. A new FAFSA (new, renewal or online) for the next academic year must be submitted early enough to meet our priority filing date of March 1. The student's academic progress as well as financial need determine the continuance of funding. Visit our web site at

Table of ContentsPrevious Page in CatalogNext Page in CatalogIndex